Felt Right is a home decor brand that sells colored felt wall tiles in sizes and shapes that are configurable to make an infinite number of designs. SmartClick started working with Felt Right in their 2nd year of operations when they had plateaued at about $50,000 per month of online revenue.
After Felt Right engaged SmartClick they steadily grown Felt Right's sales over 3 years to over $500,000 a month in revenue. Annually, they've driven a 10-fold increase in revenue from $600,000 in year 1 to over $6,000,000 in year 3.
SmartClick has used a a well-balanced combination of the following channels and tactics hitting consumers at all phases of the purchase cycle:
Google non-branded, branded, and shopping ads (~40% of budget)
Google Ads has consistently performed at a high level with good efficiency in both the upper and lower funnel thanks to our proprietary setup where:
1. We ensure that our branded search is truly branded and we keep our absolute top impression share above 95%
2. Our non-branded has extremely granular ad copy writing that allows us to maximize quality scores
3. Our shopping is broken out very granularly allowing us to put the majority of our budget behind our best performing products.
Meta ads (~30% of budget)
SmartClick has used Meta ads (both Facebook and Instagram) in both the upper and lower funnel to drive a ton of new awareness for the brand as well as harvest sales and consistently see ROAS over 3:1. Some of the key factors:
1. Constant creative and audience testing. We test all formats, and various settings with a very scientific and granular setup that allows us to see exactly what is working and what is not.
2. Great brand assets including photo and video shoots, leveraging UGC, and a tight working relationship between our agency and their brand to arm them with the data they need to create more of the content that works.
3. Utilizing multiple attribution methods including 3rd party software, Shopify data, GA4 data, Meta's native data, and post purchase surveys to confirm the impact of Meta on driving new customers.
Please see 3 of our top performing Meta ad creatives below:
TikTok ads (~5% of budget)
SmartClick has used TikTok ads as an additional awareness building channel that extends our reach at an efficient level. Some of the key factors:
1. Working with content creators and influencers to build our library of assets that fit well with TikTok's unique format.
2. Understanding of how TikTok's attribution works and staying on top of their relatively frequent pixel and tracking updates.
3. Constant testing of the various segment/audience options. TikTok users tend to be a good fit for this brand in terms of demographics and interests, but the key is finding them and doing so efficiently.
Connected TV ads (~10% of budget)
SmartClick employed Connected TV ads (essentially TV ads in both 30 and 15 second formats) to drive additional brand awareness as well as retargeting with efficiency approaching 4:1. Some of the key factors:
1. Picking the right platform to serve your ads through is essential here. There's a decent amount of variance in CPMs across different providers, and additionally finding one with an attribution method that gives you the data you need to make adjustments and evolve your strategy is crucial.
2. Having creative assets that fit the TV commercial format. Not just video that can be formatted to the 16x9 aspect ratio but assets that are bright and attractive on a big screen.
3. Constant testing of audiences and other factors such as ad frequency, creative and location.
Other channels including Criteo (dynamic retargeting), Connexity (shopping and native ads) and Bing Search Ads (~15% of budget)
SmartClick uses these other channels to efficiently expand our reach as well as retarget.
Here is some of our reasoning:
Criteo is great for serving dynamic display retargeting ads around the web and their algorithm is usually better at closing sales than what we see from Google's dynamic retargeting ads product.
Connexity extends out our comparison shopping engine reach beyond Google and is a consistent, efficient revenue driver. It also gives us another ad format by serving native ads.
Bing extends our search presence by another 5-10% and oftentimes is less competitive than Google, therefore giving us better efficiency.
SmartClick has also made constant improvements to their website (https://feltright.com/) with our designers establishing the brand look and feel as well as mapping out the various customer journeys. If you haven't already please take a look at SmartClick's creative portfolio here,
SmartClick is proud of its work with FeltRight. They're pretty happy too. Talley Goodsen, Founder and CEO of FeltRight says, "I do want to say how much I appreciate the amazing job Craig and team have done in walking the 1” slack-line for us (Growth vs ROAS). Getting through the first couple of years is always the most difficult part of any new business venture and Craig’s work to help optimize our ad spend has been much appreciated!"